According to the Affordable Care Act Who is required to have health insurance on Jan 1 2014
According to the Affordable Care Act everyone American except for the following are required to have health insurance on Jan 1 2014:
- Earn less than the income amount required to file taxes ($9,350 for an individual)
- Belong to a religious group that opposes acceptance of benefits provided by a health insurance policy
- Belong to a health sharing ministry or American Indian tribe
- Are undocumented
- Are incarcerated
- Could not find "affordable" coverage that cost less than 9.5% of their income
If you don't get it you will be subject to a penalties. The 2014 penalties for not having health insurance are as follows:
- $95 per adult and $47.50 per child (up to $285 per family), or 1% of the annual family income, whichever is greater.
- The penalty is expected to go up every year until 2016.
There will be financial help available to individuals who can't afford insurance? Government subsidies will be available for low and moderate income families. Use this calculator to see if you qualify for a health care tax credit.